Thursday September 15th, 2013
The Importance of Communication and Team Building
John Schneider, General Manager and Executive Vice President, of the Seattle Seahawks shared the partnership he enjoys with head coach Pete Carroll and their working relationship at the September CEOtoCEO Breakfast. One of the keys to their relationship that contributes to the success of the Seahawks John shared is to not let the egos of the individuals get in the way of what is best for the team. John’s comments to the group exemplified this as those attending appreciated his ego-free conversational style. Some highlights from John’s presentation:
- Always Compete: Either you’re competing or your not
- Everything is a Championship Opportunity: . . . everything
- Everything Counts: You’re being evaluated in everything you do, not just on the football field
- Building a “Consistent Championship Caliber Football Team”: Fan Base has hope every year
- Plan: What’s next on the Horizon
- Communicate: Effective Conversations
- Work: Out-work Opponents
No Ego: Most important thing is what’s best for the organization, not Pete Carroll or John Schneider.
Mutual Results: Whatever is best for the organization should be the best for us.
Nobody has all the answers: . . . nobody.
“Let’s do it better than anyone has ever done it before!”